Since we’ve decided not to find out our sweet little baby’s gender, I think we should put some of the classic Old Wives’ Tales to the test! In years gone by, there was no definitive way of knowing the gender of your child until birth, so cultures all over the world had developed ways to predict what a baby would be. So, thanks to The Google, I’ve compiled a list of Gender Prediction Methods to see what they think Baby Rabon is 🙂
- Carrying High (Girl)/ Carrying Low (Boy): I think I may need more of a belly before this one is clear.
- Carrying in Front (Boy)/ Expanding Horizontally (Girl): See above.
- Girls Steal Your Beauty (acne, skin blemishes): So far, no problems here – Boy
- Dry hands & cold feet are signs of a Boy: I’m not sure this one is fair. I live in Colorado. I have dry hands whether I’m pregnant or not. And my hands and feet are generally always cold. Like Gram says, Cold Hands, Warm Heart 🙂
- Swing your wedding ring over your belly on a string- circle means boy, back & forth means girl: I’m going to need a handsome assistant for this one.
- Heartbeat below 140 bpm (boy) or above 140 bpm (girl): Girl
- Craving sweets (girl) & Craving salty/sour (boy): Another that I’m not sure is terribly fair… I am not a big sweets person anyway and would rather eat salty food than sweet as a general rule. I’ve wanted fruit more during pregnancy, but I’m not sure if that qualifies as sweets. – Undetermined
- Chinese Gender Predictor (age at conception and the month you conceived): Girl
- Mayan Gender Predictor ( age at conception and the year your baby was conceived. If both are even or odd, it’s a girl. If one is even and one is odd, it’s a boy!): Boy
- Husband gains sympathy weight – it’s a girl: Boy – considering Stephen is doing Crossfit now, I’m thinking he won’t have this issue (which also might skew the results)
- Morning sickness = girl, little to no sickness = boy: Boy
- Craving citrus (girl): Boy
- Guess the baby’s sex by eating garlic. If the smell seeps out of your pores it’s a boy. If there’s no scent it’s a little girl: Darn, I’m so going to hate trying this one out… 😉
- If you eat the ends of bread, it’s a boy. If you eat the middle of the loaf, it’s a girl.: Boy – the ends are the best part! But then again, I’ve always thought so, which means I’m destined to only have boys?
- When a pregnant woman craves meat and cheese, count on a boy: Boy – frequently snacking on cheese & pepperoni on crackers these days
- The eye test is when a V or branches appear when you pull down the skin under your left eye. If you see a V or branches in the white part, you’re having a girl: Girl
- If you are having headaches, you might be carrying a boy: Girl
- Hold a pendant over your hand. If the necklace swings back and forth, you’re having a boy. If it is more of a circular motion, then it’s a girl.: Girl
- Are you getting heartburn? Then it’s more likely you’re going to have a girl and she’s going to have lots of hair. Girl
Tallies at this point:
YET TO BE DETERMINED: 6
Obviously, I don’t actually believe that any of these can accurately determine the baby’s gender. After all, they’ve got a 50/50 shot of being right before the test even starts!
I’d love to hear from you all how right or how wrong these “gender predictors” were for you with your little ones!
2 thoughts on “Testing the Old Wives”